Saturday 1 March 2008

8 weeks and 4 days old - March 1, 2008

Time flies too fast!

I used to say this all the time and apply it to myself but this time i am saying this for my little Sequoia.

I am so selfish. I am probably one of the few moms in the world wishing their little baby not to grow! But it is true. I am already so sad that her toes are bigger, that her feet are about 2cm longer today than at birth, that her little fingers have meat on them as opposed to being placid and flattish, almost lacking in bone density at birth...

My little Sequoia loathes sleeping on her cot bed. Perhaps it is because Grandma is not here. Or perhaps it is because she remembers the negative experience of cot beds from her hospital days (who says babies have short term memories ? :-) But in truth, it is because, like all babies, they love the closeness they feel with their mommies. They love the warmth of the chest and boobies. And simply put, they love the smell of mommy! God was kind to make babies act and respond this way to the person who carried them for 10 months and who produced them into this universe, usually with some pain and difficulty :-)

And so, i, too, am able to enjoy this attachment that she brings in her early stages of her life. She would happily make herself a bed on any part of my body, contorting herself into all sorts of weird positions.

On many occasions, i fear that she will have a twisted neck or bent arm (since i doubt she can support her body weight on her seemingly light and lifeless like baby arm). But no, she smiles at me as if to say, "mom, don't you dare move me. I am more comfortable here, sleeping on a pillow, on your lap, with you drinking over my head (but don't spill anything tho) or having your left hand move irritatingly over my head as you type away at the computer...than sleeping on the car seat or in my moses crib. Don't move me, please! This is my home..."

So, my little one continues to grow! She already looks different from the newborn little baby i knew and fell in love with. She now looks like a little baby! The Health Visitor said, "Sequoia has a double chin...you are producing enough milk and this is good for her!" "What double chin?" I said. "You mean triple chin :-) My mom says Sequoia has a triple chin!" We both laugh. Sequoia looks at us as if to say, "are you making fun of me again?" and gives us an Elvis, one-sided cheek grin!

1 comment:

Liz said...

She's the cutest little thing. I am so glad she's bringing so much joy into your life!! Thanks for sharing all her stories...and I can't wait to hear more!